AC Milan ‘make enquiries for Mason Greenwood’ with the Manchester United forward’s future uncertain amid ongoing club investigation after charges against him were dropped by the CPS earlier this year
- The Italian giants are reportedly interested in the Manchester United forward
- Mason Greenwood has not played for United since being suspended last year
- Internal investigation by the club is ongoing following charges being dropped
Italian giants AC Milan are reportedly interested in signing Mason Greenwood amid increasing uncertainty over his Manchester United future.
The 21-year-old has not played for United since being suspended by the club in January 2022 following allegations of attempted rape, actual bodily harm and coercive or controlling behaviour.
He was charged by the Crown Prosecution Service in October before the charges were dropped in February after ‘key witnesses’ withdrew their involvement.
United themselves launched their own internal probe into Greenwood and the allegations following the decision by the authorities to drop the charges, though this is not expected to be completed until after the season has finished.
Greenwood would reportedly ‘run through a brick wall’ to be back playing for his boyhood club, but there is no current timeframe on when United’s probe will end. And, for now, Greenwood has not been allowed to return to training.
Mason Greenwood is reportedly attracting attention from Italian giants AC Milan amid uncertainty over his Manchester United future
The 21-year-old was suspended by the club last year and an internal investigation is ongoing
According to Revelo, the uncertainty has led to a number of clubs across Europe to express an interest in signing Greenwood, who is contracted with United until 2025 on wages reported to amount to £100,000 per week.
One of these sides is AC Milan, who reportedly admire the technical quality of the former England international.
It has been reported that he is looking forward to starting over, preferably abroad as he looks to get his career back on track.
Greenwood’s future at United has been a source of contention for some time, despite the charges being dropped. It was reported that the club turned down offers from Turkey in January and that the majority of the women’s team, who share the Carrington training base with the men, would like to see him moved on.
The report states that Milan are also looking at other forwards, including Moussa Dembele of Lyon, Noah Okafor and Florian Balogun, who has shone for Rennes this season on loan from Premier League leaders Arsenal.
Milan are in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and face Napoli on Tuesday night looking to advance to the semi-finals, having taken a 1-0 aggregate lead at the San Siro.
Erik ten Hag, asked about the case of Greenwood in his press conference the day after the charges were dropped, referred people to the statement put out by the club.
‘I can’t add anything, I refer to the statement of the club,’ he said.
The women’s squad are said to be uneasy about the prospect of Greenwood returning
United had said: ‘Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.
‘The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.
Greenwood first joined United at the age of six and made his debut for the club in 2019, in a victory over French side Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.
He has gone on to win a single cap for England, against Iceland in September 2020.
Source : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11981771/AC-Milan-make-inquiries-Mason-Greenwood-Manchester-United-forwards-future-uncertain.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490&rand=1270